Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Bring In(stagram) The New Year

Well, this is it.  2014 has been one insane year that has shaped each of our lives in one way or another.  And without a doubt, 2015 will probably do the same.

There have been so many occurrences during this year, especially with the fashion industry.  John Galliano made a huge comeback, Kendall Jenner is the hottest model of the moment, and Chanel made a statement during Fashion Week with its colorful feminist protest.  However, the strongest and most notable event that I have noticed was the big social media lunge this year.  If social media wasn't already interlaced with our lives, well, this year definitely sealed the deal on that issue.

To add to the point, this year was the first year that I had hopped aboard the iPhone train.  I received the iPhone back in March, and as soon as I got it, I eagerly joined Instagram, Vine, and all of the other apps that I had heard about.  This past summer, I was especially having fun with Instagram, and I had experimented with spreading awareness about this fashion blog through Instagram, using pretty pictures and the appropriate hashtags and what not.  The response that I got was incredible, and it affirmed my beliefs that the human race will not stop ascending the social media staircase any time soon.

There were also many Instagram occurrences of the year, including Grace Coddington joining the app in May, and Rihanna returning to the app after a six month hiatus (for more Instagram events of the year, check out this article from Refinery 29: http://www.refinery29.com/best-fashion-instagram-2014#slide-12).  Many fashion forward bloggers gained more followers on the app as well, reaffirming the fact that social media and fashion are interlinked beyond belief, from now and into the future.  I mean, it certainly helps that blogger Adam Gallagher uses classic menswear and Oxford charm…


… that Luanna Perez has an intriguing Goth girl glamour…


… and that Jessica Stein masters the element of travel to her already fashionable Instagram posts.


Social media has been on a steady rise for a while now, but 2014 has been the year that has confirmed its place in our future.  I know a lot of people who are uneasy about this, and I'm not going to lie, I feel a bit of unease as well.  However, social media has already proven to have a beautiful side with a lot of creativity and originality.  I can't help but yearn to see what's next.

Here's to an awesome 2015!


Maddy Thiers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home